Monday - Friday 08:00 - 17:00 o'clock

Saturday + Sunday - Closed

+49 2234 809869-2

Toyota Allee 99

50858 Köln

FAQ for candidates

What requirements do I have to fulfil to be able to apply?

You need to have completed training as a health care worker and nurse. You must have a minimum German level of B1 to start work, preferably B2.

How do I find a suitable employer?

After an initial counselling interview, we discuss together where the qualifications of individual applicants lie and which employer might be the right one. Do friends or relatives already live in Germany? – then, if necessary, we can check whether there is a suitable clinic nearby.

How long does the application process take?

From the initial contact to the start of work, the process is different in each German federal state. It is made up as follows: Application process (interview, employment contract), language school (0-10 months, depending on requirements), labour market admission (approx. 1-2 months), embassy appointment (1-3 months, depending on the country), recognition procedure (approx. 3 months). These details correspond to the current empirical values (as of 09/2018) and are openly presented here on our part, as openness and transparency are our top priority.

Do I have to prove a certain language level?

B1 is required to apply for a visa. For professional recognition, a B2 level is required. However, we also conduct job interviews in the local language before you start your German course.

Do you organise language courses in your home country?

Together with our partner Beagle Academy, we offer online language courses with certified language teachers. This concept, consisting of vocabulary training, grammar and language practice, enables applicants to learn German while working from anywhere in the world. The organisation of monthly language exams, which are officially recognised by all German authorities, enables targeted exam preparation.

How do I get my professional recognition?

After the applicant has received a confirmation of employment, all necessary documents are collected, certified and translated by us. Which documents have to be submitted in which form is decided by the regional council of each federal state. As a rule, this process takes four to six months, depending on the federal state. Each federal state has its own criteria for fulfilling the requirements for becoming a professional carer. We will assist you in this process and take care of it for you.

After going through the recognition procedure for a licence to practise as a care worker, you will either receive “full recognition” (as a care worker) or partial recognition, if significant differences between the foreign and the German professional qualification are found.

If partial recognition is granted, a so-called deficiency notice is issued, which contains the necessary measures to achieve full recognition. These necessary measures can be theory hours, practical hours in individual subject areas or language deficits.

In practice, this is either an adaptation course or a knowledge test. Nurses are free to choose between the two options. In most cases, the decision depends on the employer’s possibilities.

Knowledge examination: In a comprehensive oral and written examination, the contents that you have acquired through your training abroad are tested for equivalence with the German training. Special courses for nursing professionals prepare you optimally for successfully passing the knowledge examination.

Adaptation qualification: Unlike the knowledge test, the adaptation qualification is a course that is adequately oriented to the need for post-qualification. Most of these courses are modular. If it is part of the requirement in the recognition notice, B2 language courses are taught, technical training is provided and internships in hospitals are completed.

Lingoda offers a comprehensive knowledge test preparation for international nurses including a B2 language course. Here, theory, technical language and practical training are combined in a modular way.

When do I have to submit documents?

When you first make contact and after you have been accepted by a hospital.

Which documents do I have to submit?

In order to check your profile and suitability, we need your CV, photo, a copy of your diploma and a language certificate (if available). As soon as we have a confirmation of employment, we need all the documents for the professional recognition procedure – we will tell you exactly what these are in your personal counselling interview.

What costs will I incur for the entire application process?

There are no costs for you during the entire application process.

If there are language barriers, how do you deal with them?

Our language-competent staff, who speak the local language, can act as translators if necessary and provide assistance, for example, during the interview or as mediators once the job has started.

Who will take care of my work permit?

If all the necessary documents, such as contract documents, language certificate and professional recognition are available, we initiate the so-called preliminary approval at the Federal Employment Agency in order to obtain the labour market permit before the embassy appointment. This can be done according to §16d (for partial recognition) or §18a (for full recognition). As soon as the labour market approval is available, the embassy appointment can be arranged.

Will I be accompanied/supervised at the embassy appointment?

If required, we can organise all embassy appointments in your home country for you in advance, inform you which special documents are required and send them to you.

Will you accompany me after my arrival to deal with the authorities?

If your employer does not have the capacity to take you to the authorities, we can advise you on all the necessary formalities – whether it is registering your place of residence, extending your visa or opening a bank account. We can also help you with any questions you may have on how to deal with everyday tasks that will make it easier for you to settle in, for example filling in applications, using public transport, etc. If it is possible in terms of personnel and space, this is also possible in person.

Do you provide support in finding accommodation on site?

If there is no accommodation capacity available from the employer, we provide support in finding accommodation with our partner network of housing agencies.

What documents do I need to present upon arrival?

Visa, work and residence permit, proof of vaccination (mumps, measles, rubella and Covid if applicable) and certificate of good conduct. If your employer wishes, a medical certificate from your home country may also need to be presented.

How is the journey organised before the start of work?

Once you have all the necessary documents, such as a visa, language certificate and professional recognition, your journey will be planned in consultation with your employer.

Who will pick me up from the airport/train station after I arrive in Germany?

If the employer does not have the capacity, we will organise the applicant’s journey from the airport/railway station to your employer.

Do you also support with language courses after arrival?

Our range of online language courses also enables you to take part in an ongoing communication course.

Will you continue to be my contact person after my arrival?

We are the contact for our clients and applicants until they receive their certificate and, if necessary, beyond.

What is the salary in Germany?

Your gross monthly salary as a nursing assistant is about 2,100 – 2,300 € gross, as a recognised nursing assistant at 2,500 € to 3,000 € gross plus 20 – 30 % bonuses (e.g. extra shifts, night shifts, holidays, etc.). Salaries vary from province to province and from employer to employer. This depends on various factors, e.g. collective agreements, work experience, special qualifications, etc.).

If I am found to be unwell after starting work, how do you deal with this?

We first discuss the problem with you. After that, we are happy to work out a solution. If the applicant’s employability is characterised by a lack of language skills, it would be possible to provide a free language course. If no solution helps after this, we will support you in finding a new employer.

Can I bring my spouse and children to Germany?

Yes! Once your professional recognition has been completed and you have your certificate as a health and nursing professional, your spouse/children can follow you to Germany without any further requirements. The application must be made through the local foreigners authority. This process usually takes about six months. All family members can then also be covered by your health insurance.

What is the salary in Germany?

Your gross monthly salary as a nursing assistant is about 2,100 – 2,300 € gross, as a recognised nursing assistant at 2,500 € to 3,000 € gross plus 20 – 30 % bonuses (e.g. extra shifts, night shifts, holidays, etc.). Salaries vary from province to province and from employer to employer. This depends on various factors, e.g. collective agreements, work experience, special qualifications, etc.).

How much net is left over from the respective gross depends on various marginal conditions, especially marital status and the associated tax class.
If a tax return is filed at the end of the year, part of the income tax paid can be refunded.

What do gross and net mean?

Gross is the salary BEFORE deductions and
Net is the salary AFTER deductions.

In concrete terms, this means for you that a fixed percentage of your salary is deducted directly from your gross salary “as social security contributions” and paid into these insurances. In addition to the social security contributions, taxes (wage tax) are also deducted before you receive your salary (net salary).

Social security contributions include all types of compulsory insurance, which is divided approximately equally between the employer and the employee:

Health insurance: approx. 14.6
As an employee, you are always covered by health insurance. If you fall ill, the health insurance company will cover the costs of medical treatment.

Long-term care insurance: approx. 3.05
When you take out health insurance, you are automatically covered by long-term care insurance. Long-term care insurance comes into effect if, for example, you are no longer able to look after yourself due to a serious illness – i.e. you need help from a carer.

Pension insurance: approx. 18.6
You pay into the pension insurance scheme to receive a pension after you have retired. The amount of the pension is determined by the amount of income you earned during your employment and the number of years of contributions in Germany. In principle, pensions from the statutory pension insurance scheme are also paid abroad. In certain individual cases, however, there may be restrictions, which is why you should contact the German Pension Insurance in good time beforehand.

Unemployment insurance: approx. 2.4
Unemployment insurance pays unemployed people a regular income for a certain period of time. In principle, you usually have to have been insured for one year within the last two years while you were working and you have to be looking for work again.

How many hours do I have to work per week?

The regular working time is about 38.5 hours per week; five working days per week are usual. You usually work one, two or even three shifts (early, late or night shift). This depends on the respective employer, but is of course also contractually agreed beforehand. It is also common to work at weekends, which are then compensated by days off during the week.

How many days of holiday are there per year?

Depending on the pay scale, the annual holiday is between 26 and 30 days.

How can I insure myself in Germany?

We will take care of your health insurance. As soon as your arrival in Germany is confirmed, you will be insured with a health insurance company from the beginning of your work. This means that you are subject to social insurance contributions. This means that you are automatically covered in case of illness or unemployment.

What is liability insurance?

We strongly recommend that you take out liability insurance after your arrival in Germany. Liability insurance is a damage insurance. “Anyone who intentionally or negligently injures the life, body, health, freedom, property or any other right of another unlawfully is obliged to compensate the other for the resulting damage.” – which means: “If you break something, you have to pay.” You can take out this insurance with any insurance carrier or bank and it costs about €50 a year. Without this insurance, you have to pay for the damage personally and this can be expensive.